Monday, November 9, 2020

Royalist actor-rescue worker Bin facing accusations of fraud

  


Actor and rescue worker Bin Bunluerit has hit back at allegations of fraud in his campaign to raise funds for flood victims last year, saying the money was collected with good intent and there was no fraud.

However, he admitted that he had solicited donations in 2019 without asking permission from the government agencies as specified by the law.

Bin, who is facing online criticism for his pro-royalist leanings, said on Thursday that he ran a Facebook donation campaign to help flood victims in Ubon Ratchathani in mid-2019.

He said he raised about Bt422 million from donors across the country.

On Tuesday, the chief of Mae Rim district in Chiang Mai, Boonyarit Nipawanit, compared Bin’s case to that of social media influencer Sean Buranahiran. Sean was criticised earlier this year for raising funds for victims of forest fires in Chiang Mai province without seeking permission as per the Fundraising Control Act.

Bin has been accused of doing the same, as well as violating the Computer Crime Act and committing fraud.

On Thursday, he admitted to being surprised at the size of donations, since his previous campaign for Phitsanulok flood victims had received only about Bt1 million.

He added that he would admit his guilt if any wrongdoing had occurred.

Some social media users voiced suspicion over a luxury Bt1-milllion watch Bin was spotted wearing in an advert, suggesting it was purchased with funds from the donation campaign.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397496

No comments: